I'm Kind of a Big Deal. Just FYI.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Things That Make Me Cry On A Sunny San Diego Afternoon

Due to recent events, I often find myself lacking in productivity. This generally leads to me sprawled out on the bed and becoming one big, lifeless drone staring at lackluster videos on youtube for endless amounts of time.

However, the other day I stumbled upon a little gem known as Jim Henson's memorial service. Now, I don't know how well you know me, but to consider yourself my true friend you should know I love all things muppet. Tis true that as a young girl I lusted after David Bowie as Jareth in Labyrinth. Yes, even at eight I swooned for men wearing codpieces in tight white jumpsuits. But even beyond the world on Labyrinth, the creations of Jim Henson always brought a smile to my little freckled face.

So I happily engaged myself in various videos of his memorial service especially after learning that he requested no one wear black and that the "All You Need Is Love" wedding sequence from Love Actually was inspired by the puppet sequence at Mr. Henson's memorial.

I set out to watch a tribute to a man I loved and thought it would be an interesting and insightful experience. What I did not expect was to start bawling at 2pm on an otherwise happy and sunny day. It was so touching and sad, and it made me realize that when I cross over to the big shoe store in the sky...I hope I get as touching a eulogy as well as a musical number performed by puppets.

It also just solidified the fact that I am a complete and utter nerd!


So here for your viewing pleasure, a few outtakes of Jim Henson's memorial(oh! be sure to take note of the man who voices Elmo. Not at all what I expected, but pleasantly surprising :)





No comments: